The Ministry of Economy and Business recently announced the launch of the Second Digital Dividend, due to the implementation of 5G technology. The First Digital Dividend took place in 2014, precisely due to the implementation of 4G technology.
The First Digital Dividend was produced by the deployment of 4G technology in the 800 MHz band, while shortly, the technology to be implemented will be the 5G that occupies the 700 MHz band. This situation forces to release the 700 MHz band of the current DTT channels (Digital Terrestrial Television) that are using it, similar situation to the one that occurred with the implementation of 4G. Given the current situation of the bands and their use, will cause that all DTT broadcasts have to be readjusted to the bands between 470 MHz and 694 MHz.
This readjustment of bands for those channels of the DTT that until now were operating in the band of 700 MHz will have as consequence that they have to be re-tuned in all the community facilities of the homes of the country. It is likely that this situation will not affect single-family homes, since they normally have broadband amplifiers installed and all they will have to do is re-tune the television without any need to make any changes in the capture and amplification infrastructure.
The second digital dividend began in January 2019, allowing simultaneous broadcasts on both old and new frequencies. However, transmissions on the old frequencies will run until March 2020.
To help citizens in this channel re-tuning, the government has approved a series of grants. The maximum subsidies defined by the Ministry are as follows:
- Television reception equipment that does not need to install additional equipment, regardless of the number of digital multiples: 100 €.
- Television reception equipments that need to install additional equipment for 1 digital multiple: 150 €.
- Television reception equipment that needs to install additional equipment for 2 digital multiplex: 250 €.
- TV reception equipments that need to install additional equipment for 3 digital multiplex: 350 €.
- Television reception equipment that needs to install additional equipment for 4 digital multiplex: 450 €.
- Television reception equipment that needs to install additional equipment for 5 digital multiplex: 550 €.
- Television reception equipment that needs to install additional equipment for 6 digital multiplex: 650 €.
It is important that communities of owners contact their property manager to apply for these grants and follow the appropriate procedures, although communities can also make the request directly without the need for any intermediary. For more information on the procedure to follow to apply for grants, you will find all the information on the website https://dividendo.digital/